Athens Seed Company was founded in 1929 by a Mr. Cordell. At that time the business was located on Foundry Street in Athens, Georgia.
In 1944, Mr. T.W. Porterfield, Sr., purchased the company and moved it to Thomas Street in Athens. Athens Seed remained on Thomas Street until Mr. Porterfield sold the business to James T. Simmons and James R. Willis in 1978 when it was moved to 200 Dairy Pak Road, Athens, Georgia. The building at this location was expanded twice to accommodate the growing company.
As business steadily increased, the location at 200 Dairy Pak Road could no longer meet the needs of the company. In 1997, a new building was built at 54 Greensboro Highway in Watkinsville which is where it remains today. Owned and operated by the Simmons Family, it serves customers in Oconee and surrounding counties.
As of Feb 1st 2016, the Simmons family sold to James R. Willis full ownership of the retail store, located on Greenesboro Hwy. where they still operate today and serve the Oconee and Clarke County communities.